A highlighter is designed to provide the skin with a fresh, healthy and radiant look. What are other properties of a highlighter and what are its types? Discover how to choose the best product for your complexion and how to use it correctly.
Highlighter – properties:
- makes the skin radiant,
- reduces the signs of fatigue,
- contours the face,
- enhances the most flattering features, for instance, the cheekbones,
- covers up flaws, for instance, the shape of the nose.
Types of highlighters:
- pressed highlighters,
- highlighters in a stick,
- liquid highlighters.
The pressed highlighter is to be applied with a brush, thus, if you make a mistake, it is easy to correct it right away. The highlighter in a stick should be applied to the foundation but before adding your setting powder. However, a liquid highlighter looks best when dabbed in with the fingertips or a sponge. What’s more, it is important to make sure that the product does not differ from the foundation nor rub it away. Also, a liquid highlighter is most recommended for women with dry skin type.
How to choose the right highlighter?
The highlighter should be chosen according to the type of beauty:
- Women with a cool skin tone have a light complexion and blue eyes and look flattering in black, navy blue, purple and burgundy clothes. Those women should choose a highlighter with golden flecks.
- Women with a warm skin tone are blondes and brunettes that look great in bright colours. Women with a warm type of skin should reach for a highlighter with silver particles.
If we are not convinced to a consistent highlighter, choose a mixed cosmetic.
How to apply a highlighter?
The highlighter can be applied to different parts of the face depending on the effect we want to achieve.
- The highlighter is usually applied to the upper parts of the zygomatic bones, which adds a glow to the face.
- The most desired highlighting effect is obtained by applying the cosmetic with a fan brush.
- Applying the highlighter to the line between the eyebrows and to the tip of the nose will optically reduce the latter.
- The highlighter in the stick can be applied to the corners of the eyes to enlarge them visually and add a nice glow.
- The application under the eyebrow arch will visually enlarge the eye and improve the shape of the eyebrows.
- Applying the highlighter to the chin is a great way to optically enlarge the lips and enhance the face. It should be used at the very end to finish the makeup.
- To hide fatigue and to enlarge the eye optically, put the product in its inner corners.
- In order to give the lips a fuller look, apply a highlighter to the cupid’s bow.