You use pricey hair products but don’t like the effects? You might be using wrong products. Before spending a fortune on the best shampoos, find out how to define your hair type.
Considering the amount of sebum being produced by sebaceous glands, hair can be normal, dry, damaged, oily, affected by dandruff. When the glands produce too much sebum, your hair is greasy. On the other hand, removing too much sebum with a wrong shampoo leads to extremely dry hair.
Hair type: normal hair
Normal hair is soft, shiny, bouncy and manageable. It doesn’t get greasy quickly.
Normal hair care routine
- use shampoos for normal hair
- regularly use balms or conditioners; apply a strongly-repairing mask once a month
- in summer, choose products with UV filter
Hair type: dry hair
Dry hair is stiff and coarse. It brittles while brushing. Styling dry hair takes lots of time.
Dry hair care routine
- use a shampoo for dry or damaged hair twice a week
- apply balms and conditioners which improve hair elasticity, nourish and repair
- give up on blow-drying
Hair type: damaged hair
Damaged hair is extremely dry, dull and brittle.
Damaged hair care routine
- for washing, use shampoos that are rich in active substances: panthenol and proteins penetrate your hair and repair damage, making the color longer-lasting in case of color-treated hair
- use balms and conditioners after every hair wash
- brush hair with a wide-tooth comb
Hair type: hair with dandruff
White or yellowish flakes fall off your head.
Anti-dandruff hair care routine
- wash your hair with an anti-dandruff shampoo at least twice a week
- while washing, vigorously massage the scalp to remove dandruff flakes
- rinse the shampoo out with lukewarm water
- when you manage to get rid of dandruff, don’t give up on the anti-dandruff shampoo – use it every two weeks
Hair type: oily hair
Hair is greasy just a few hours after washing. It is hard to style.
Oily hair care routine
- feel free to wash your hair every day on condition you use a mild shampoo for oily hair
- use balms or conditioners
- never wash hair using hot water
- be gentle while towel-drying